Throwing Stones

"But when they persisted in asking Him, He straightened up, and said to them, He who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw the stone at her." John 8:7

  It happened again this morning. It's not the first time and I can assure you it won't be the last time since time began. My grandchildren were playing with one another and one of them hit the other, or did something wrong. Gleefully they came in to tattle on the other child, "Grandma, So and So took my toy. Grandma, she hit me!"

  Tattling and casting accusations has been going on since the day that Adam and Eve sinned in the garden of Eden. Remember, "God, Eve made me eat the apple." Really? She made him eat the apple? The truth is Romans 3 says that we have ALL sinned. None of us are righteous. But we are pretty smug about other's sins right? It's real easy to find fault with people who drink, sleep around, lie, cheat and steal, right? We don't do those things. We're above that. Are we really?  I remember many years ago when I was in college that I was very indignant about my room-mate's sin. I mean after all, I didn't do what she did, right? I thought I looked pretty good in my own eyes. A few months later when I stumbled into the same sin I wasn't as high and mighty then. I had to go to her and apologize but the damage had been done. Why couldn't I have been kinder and more sympathetic?

  Jesus was at the temple when the Pharisees brought a woman caught in adultery to Him.  As they were talking and pointing fingers at the woman Jesus stood calmly writing on the ground. Some scholars think that Jesus might have been listing their sins as well. We really don't know. What we do know, however is that by the time He was finished and said, "Let him who is without sin cast the first stone," that they were all gone. Jesus forgave the woman and she moved on praising Him and turning from her sinful ways. 
  Let's face it, sometimes we're no better than children. We're pretty busy pointing fingers because it makes us feel better. But remember, when we point fingers at others we're still pointing three fingers at us and one at God. Maybe, just maybe we can learn what children have difficulty learning and what the Pharisees learned that day: let he who is without sins cast the first stone.

Dear Father,
I realize that I spend more time looking at others instead of myself. 
I pray that I would focus more on You instead.
I want to know You more.
In your holy name,
Amen.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts