What is the Point?

 How many of you are relieved that the Christmas season is over and that we are into a new year. So far, I haven't seen too much difference from the beginning of 2010. What I have noticed, however is that I have been overcome with a great deal of sadness this past season.  Blame it on the Hallmark movies with their happy endings with the families all around the table getting the exact presents they expected or perhaps blame it on the fact that I was missing people who weren't here to join in the celebration. In fact, I still have presents left unopened and I wonder when they will be. Whatever the reason, I have discovered that I wasn't the only one who felt that way. I've spoken with friends who said that they just felt "sad" this year and alone. For many, the feeling doesn't go away with the turn of a page in the calendar. The feeling lingers. Before long, full blown depression can overcome even the most "together" individual. 
  I am no expert but I do know that where I live, we have only seen a few days above zero in the past 40. It is dark when I leave for work and it is dark when I wake up in the mornings.  Some days I find myself giving more to others than I feel I am receiving. It can tend to wear on a person. The tendency is to stop giving all together.  I had several days off during the Christmas/New Year season and I was able to get some much needed rest. That has somewhat resolved the problem.
  What can be done then? It's very easy to concentrate on myself when I am going through these feelings. The thing is that when I do though, I neglect to see that my spouse or those around me are going through similar symptoms?  I have to be honest, some days I just don't feel like reading my Bible for comfort. I want someone with skin on to comfort me. The truth is, this is when I need God the most and his words are encouraging to me. I find that the book of Psalms is very precious to read during these times. 
  Sometimes, just reading the Bible isn't enough--you might feel the need to share your feelings with a trusted confidante like a pastor, counselor or a pastor's wife or even just a good friend. There are also times when you might need to cry. Let's face it, even Jesus wept.  He wept in the garden of Gethsemene and when His friend died. 
  Maybe 2011 looks pretty much the same to you as 2010. You're feeling sad and alone. You aren't. Sometimes when you reach out you find there are others out there who feel as you do. Just some ideas off the top of my head is a prayer partner, lunch with a friend, reaching out to a new mother (she probably feels the same way). I remember not too long ago a woman reached out to me and exercised with me. Within no time, the sad feelings were gone and I was feeling better. My prayer is that 2011 is a blessing for you and that you are drawn closer to Him now more than ever!

Comments

  1. Great post Kathy...your words always hit home. Thanks for sharing your insights.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts