I Can Do it Myself

"I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing." John 15:5.


  Ever watch a small child who is learning to dress themselves or tie their shoe? They usually want to do it themselves and then they get frustrated because they aren't quite able to do it. I know that I struggle with much the same problem. I work in an overnight position where being alert is a very important attribute. The other evening I witnessed people stealing from my workplace. My first instinct was to try to run outside and take charge. I will say this, I don't have skills in apprehending criminals and I'm in no shape to run after them. All in all, this was a silly blunder on my part and I should have called the authorities.
  In a way, it's like how we are as Christians. We try to manipulate and figure our problems out by ourselves when we should leave our problems to Christ. He's stronger and has more powerful, but we figure we're bothering Him.  Jesus said in John 15:5 that we can't do anything without Him. We shouldn't even try. He's waiting to be there for us but sometimes we are too proud. Just like a child trying to do his or her shoe tying before they're capable, we need to depend on Him. God really does have our best interest at heart and will save us from heartache.


Dear Father,
Help me to remember that I can't do anything without you. Help me not to lean on my own devices. In your name,
Amen.

Comments

Popular Posts