Just a Little Hole

  Last Friday I was driving my car to Minneapolis when I noticed that the "check engine" light was on. I was concerned because my car is only a little over a year old. I stopped at a gas station to fill with gas and decided to try to assess the situation. It appeared that the overflow bottle of anti-freeze might be running low but didn't look that low. I drove on when the "heat" light went on. I found another close gas station, bought anti-freeze, put it in and drove on. The engine light would not go out. My husband checked all the hoses in the car but found nothing that would cause fluid to leak and there didn't seem to be any problem. Tuesday we took our car to the mechanic who repairs our cars. He came out with a short piece of hose with a very tiny hole in it. This was responsible for the loss of fluid and the engine light. 
  In life things may seem as though they are good. We might feel that we're walking close to God and things are in order, but perhaps something little might cause us to stumble. Perhaps a guilty pleasure. Fill in your own blank. The big things don't usually cause me to fold. I don't drink, I don't do other things but there are those little things that can cause me to stumble. It might be a questionable TV program or book or even worse, a thought. Before things get to the full blown sin point, the key is to keep the matter short with God. He longs to be close to us and only a simple little thing can break the fellowship.
  Whatever it is that is keeping us from being in fellowship with God, we need to get rid of it. Let's face it, a bruised rotten apple by itself isn't a big problem but if left with a bushel, it corrupts the whole bushel. Keeping short accounts with God often seems tedious but it's a must to be in fellowship. I know, I need to do this daily. Let's not let the little holes in life trip us up. 

Comments

Popular Posts